Why didn’t anybody tell me that there’s a Linux running on that device? And that it seems easy enough to “enable this functionality” ? 🙂
I don’t own one, but it seems to be an excellent device to run NetHack on (you could use the touchscreen for general movement like in the iPhone port plus the keyboard for commands), though I admit it gets a little bit awkward in landscape format (does it change automatically btw)
Having already done the iNetHack port for the iPhone, I’m not ruling out bringing it to the Pre. It should be very easy, for me or someone else, having the source code for the iPhone stuff.
But how many people owning a Pre, having Linux access, are actually aware of NetHack and really want to play a nice window port on it? Please leave a comment if you do, and please give some details about which Linux you installed on top …
I think I’m not allowed to talk about anything at the moment, but I wanted to give you some really good dreams in the coming nights 🙂
And btw., I’m in urgent need of a good NetHack logo, png preferred, in 57×57 and 512×512 🙂 The one I’m currently using (from the Qt port I think) is 128×128 only, and I need the 512×512.
I’m serious about this. If I don’t get one by tomorrow noon I’ll have to do it myself. And it won’t be pretty.
Just got automatic save/restore working, I consider this as a personal milestone 🙂
The game is now playable, what is lacking in commands can be compensated with the built-in keyboard,
except for extended commands which need implementation.
Current showstoppers (implementation needed before release, lack of which might even hinder ascension):
- Extended commands ✓
- Character creation UI ✓
- Main screen ✓ (sort of, using NetHack’s native mechanims and its news file)
- Icon 🙂 ✓
- Reasonable auto-pickup by default
Should be implemented before release, but it’s not a showstopper:
- Map view ✓ (zoomable view)
- Actions sorted in a hierarchy, like in the Qt port ✓
- Speaking of actions, more of them (ideally you should never use the keyboard) ✓
- UI support for count (currently, the only UI support is for search, other than that, you use the keyboard)
- View message log ✓
- Bigger font for status and messages, and line breaks if they don’t fit the width ✓ (mostly readable now)
The port is currenty “bug-free” in the sense that I haven’t seen any of them in a long time, which doesn’t really mean anything. I’ve had some nasty crashes with map_glyph and my NavController, but they are all fixed.
Nice to have, but not really necessary for version 1:
- Tiled version
- Alternative, direction based movement (currently it’s you tap where you want to go, like the mouse support in the Qt port, it’s not direction based) ✓ (the tile click based UI was not doing it in the long run, so it’s always direction based now)