(i)NetHack ready for iPad launch

I haven’t really made an official announcement about this, so here it is:

I have ported NetHack to the iPad, it’s fully playable and it is ready for the iPad launch. I don’t have any details about when and how 3rd party native iPad apps can be released, so I can’t give assurance for a launch day release :(, but it will be queued for review as soon as there is a queue available for me. I will use the remaining time until then to add more polish and gimmicks, then polish again.

The one thing I couldn’t really do for 1.0 is play it on a real device. I may have gauged processing power wrong (which might lead to performance problems), touch controls might be too small or too unwieldy (I remember I had to rewrite touch behavior in iNetHack a couple of times until it felt right). I was also the only one playtesting it, so I might have overlooked a couple of things.

I for one can’t wait to play it with my fingers instead of mouse and keyboard, while sitting or lying on the couch 🙂

If you want any tileset to be included now is the time to tell me about it. It must be 32×32 though. So far I have included Absurd, Chozo/ChozoB, default windows tiles32 and nh3d (which is apparently based on Aoki-2k5 and vanilla terrain tiles).

32 thoughts on “(i)NetHack ready for iPad launch

Are you sure about that? 🙂 It’s the 16×16 tileset scaled up, it will strain your eyes. I have a similar tileset based on that that has higher-quality monsters, but it looks different, I admit that.

2. Anonymous

I use those same tiles blown up in the QT port on my 20″ iMac and it looks okay, considering. Besides, I still play all the time in ASCII mode on NAO; I don’t see how it could possibly strain my eyes more than that!

Obviously it’s up to you. I just wanted to beg for those old-school windows tiles that I’ve been playing for half my life. Regardless, I can’t wait to try it on an iPad. Thanks!

3. Anonymous

Very nice, but as a noob I’d like to be able to play in explore mode. Can you add that option?

4. Jorgen

You can? This may be a dumb question (unless you believe there are no dumb questions) but how do you pull up the keyboard? I did not see that option nor did it ever pop up when I was trying the various menu buttons.

No, confused the title of the post with iNetHack 🙁 So there’s currently no way to access explore or wizard mode.

6. Jim

Posting from my iPad, here. Nice interface, very usable. One serious bug, though. I can’t enter any space with a known “trap”. This includes the magic portal for the quest, and probably the vibrating square! Otherwise, I’m having a blast playing! I look forward to SLASH’EM.

7. Jim

Ah! As I never use it, I hadn’t considered the direction control! That does work, thanks! I’ll get Slash’EM when it cones out.

8. Morris

This is really cool. A few questions:

Do you need to push the INV button to access the pickup or eat something on the spot where your character is standing?

I saw a reference to “gestures”; are there any instructions some place on how to do to them?

9. jo

Incredible. Playing it with hands and context menus feels so good, as if the game was made for iPad. Thanks Dirk!

Yes it is, just visit the settings app from your home screen and look under iNetHack (you’re referring to the iNetHack iPhone version right?)

11. David Brossard

I have been playing for a while on my ipad and it’s pretty slick.
    I think I may have found one bug however. A unicorn horn does not have any option to wield. I should be able to wield it as a 2 handed weapon…
    Am I just missing something?
    Thanks

12. GravitonMaker

I’m new to Nethack, but I’m loving your iPad version! I’m having trouble with one thing: How do I get it to repeat previous messages if I accidentally hit a key before I’m done reading? The help files list a key command for this, but since the iPad version doesn’t have a keyboard option I’m stuck. Thanks!

13. Renozhin

Is there a way of playing it without tiles on the iPad? I’ve been trying to find a way of doing it for a while now, with no success; playing with tiles just feels like heresy to me 😛 Also, is there a way to increase the size of the movepad to avoid moving in the wrong direction when moving rapidly?

There are only the tiles supported from the menu. As for the dpad there is a new iNetHack in development that will be universal and replace NetHack HD.