Absurd Tileset for Slash’EM 0.0.7E7F3

With one of theseย Perl scriptsย and John’s master files for his Absurd Tileset I was able to build an up-to-date version for Slash’EM 0.0.7E7F3. The link behind the 32×32 version preview should lead to the full-blown 128×128 true color version, which is about 21 megs in size. If you have a tiled version of Slash’EM somewhere, I’d be curious whether this version got accepted smoothly or not.

Update 2013-08-27

• Updated the link behind the picture to the Slash’EM 7E7F3 Absurd 128×128 tileset
  • If you’re looking for Absurd 128×128 for Slash’EM 7E0, here it is (link removed, no longer available).

Update 2014-06-01

• Removed all links except the one to the 128×128 7e7f3 version.
  • Corrected Slash’EM version numbers in the title and post.

19 thoughts on “Absurd Tileset for Slash’EM 0.0.7E7F3

1. Aman

I’m giving this a test drive in the Windows XP native port. This requires BMP files, so I loaded into Paint and saved as BMP. I am currently losing transparency, so backgrounds are just black, which looks odd. I’m experimenting with other ways of translating this PNG to BMP.

PS Bravo on the iOS port of Slash’EM. I enjoyed it for many hours on four 12-hour plane trips.

PPS My first-ever Mac is arriving Tuesday (MacBook Pro 17″). I’m hoping to try out your Slash’EM port.

2. Unknown

I don’t know if you care all this time later, but I just got the GTK windows version of slash’em working and it works beautifully. The full size one took me aback with the art quality, actually. John did nice work. (I had Aman’s problem before I realised that you needed the GTK going to use PNGs, the basic windows exe just uses bitmaps with the oddity he described.

1. Unknown

(it is of course huge, and all the GTK crashes from trying to change it to smaller sizes is clearly more complicated than just opening, then shrinking, saving… so not very practical. But it works, and it’s very pretty.)

John’s absurd is a classic, when I held the 128×128 tiles master in my sweaty hands I was blown away, doubly so when I realized how much I had to shrink the tiles down for mobile …

3. Unknown

Ah, I told a lie. That was in fact my own fault during one of my attempts to get a 64 sized version working in the GTK. Clearly I don’t have dev-quality methodologies going, I confused myself about which copies of what file where which. Apologies!

3. Unknown

Would you be averse to explaining how this can be re-sized for windows play? Adjusting the image size by 50% and ‘save as’ a new name just provides a random jumble ingame. But the full size is… not practical. ๐Ÿ™‚

Have you checked that the dimensions of the scaled image match exactly? There are 38×37 tiles in the tileset. Also, have you set the right options (tile_width and tile_height) before starting the game? I don’t really know how to do this under windows though.

1. Unknown

The errors appeared to related to ‘transparency’, whatever that is. The dimensions check out, but something is not being preserved properly when I ‘save as’ using irfanview or gimp. (the 32×32 is also nonfunctional, the 128 is flawless though only about 20 tiles fit onscreen lol). But if it’s out of your expertise then never mind. i’ll just have to play on the phone more ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Andriy Svyryd

I’m getting into slash’em again and wanted to try out this tileset as it looks gorgeous, but the download link is broken. Could you reupload in?

1. Silma

Link is down again.. please any chance you would put it back up? I’m so used to playing with this tileset that nethack becomes unplayable with any other, even on android. ๐Ÿ˜€

1. dirk Post author

I have corrected the link to the 128×128 7ef3 version, which is the only version that I could correctly salvage from my backup.

6. dirk Post author

Which Tileset are you searching for exactly? I recently migrated and all .pngs have the same name except appended dimensions, which take some time to sort it out (will probably give a new post of its own). I think I have fixed some images, so the one shown is probably the Slash’EM 7e7f3 32×32, and behind it the Slash’EM 7e7f3 128×128. Btw, do you get an email if I post a comment?

7. DellB

I love the absurd tileset- I have played it for years on my iphone 3g and made sure to backup. It wentover without issue to my iphone 6 from the backup (thank Huan Ti).

p>Was there a cost issue keeping you from making it available in the app store? Something like $75/annum?

1. dirk Post author

Mainly because I didn’t have the time to maintain it, plus I’ve moved to alternative platforms for my personal needs. And yes, Absurd rules ๐Ÿ™‚