Welcome to Hack!

This is not a mockup btw., it’s an original Hack 1.0.3 (with some BSD patches to clean up the code) capable of running on a vanilla iPad (iOS 3.2 or higher).

7 thoughts on “Welcome to Hack!

I was aiming at a release, but gameplay felt really dated. But I’m still experimenting with exactly that look and feel for other more modern Roguelike ports.

2. Chris

I am looking everywhere for this precise version, the one of my youth. Yes, the gameplay may feel dated; I do not want anything fancier for pure nostalgia. If you release it, I would buy it up. FYI.

For iPad, iOS 5, or do you have any other version requirement? What would you consider a fair price tag?

4. Chris

For iPad, iOS 5 is great. I don’t know if it is possible to get a copy for my home computer (Mac PowerPC G5, Mac OS 10.5.8) which would be ideal. Assuming that you just have it available for iPad… I don’t know how much work you put into it, so it is hard for me to gauge what a fair price would be. If you were to release it on iTunes, marketing to the general public and based on what you are charging for your other (more complicated) iPad app, $1.99, perhaps? I don’t know what kind of market there is for it, but speaking for myself only, I would be willing to pay up to $20 for it (which I know is an outrageous price for an app, but you are offering something I can get nowhere else). I suppose you could release it at a high price, and then lower the price once I buy it. I want to make sure you are paid for your work. What do you think is reasonable?

I guess Hack is a niche-in-a-niche app, so while $20 might be a little steep, it’s actually quite close. I have to clean the code up and fixe some serious bugs, but it I will publish it for iPad iOS 5. I’m afraid providing you with a (console) PowerPC version is out of my reach, I don’t even a compiler for that system, but maybe I can find a solution for that.

6. Chris

Thank you! I will be quite satisfied with an iPad version. My PowerPC is getting old and will probably need to be replaced soon – so I don’t know that I would go to a lot of trouble…

I will keep an eye out for the iPad version on your iTunes app page. Thanks again!