I still have an unfinished Rogue iPhone port on my local harddisc, complete with a multi-threaded iphone curses emulation layer (the rogue code was executing in its own thread, notifying the curses layer of updates). I didn’t even finish it because someone else was faster. I’ve been waiting patiently for a NetHack port from the same developer ever since, but so far none came and I don’t think there ever will.
So I will now start iNethack (or whatever it will be named), the nethack iphone port. I’ve downloaded the nethack src tarball (the 3.4.3 release). Of course it will be a free app in the AppStore and of course I will release the source code in accordance to the nethack license.
So, without further ado, it’s crunch-time baby 🙂
Update 2009-06-29: The day I decided to port it I noticed a newcomer: There is a project hosted on google code. This held me back (again) since I didn’t want to put work in something already in progress, and the project really seems to be ambitious, very slick UI. On the other hand the developers told me that it’s a side project, but I want to play nethack right now. So when they hadn’t updated in about 10 days I started. In the end project kick off was on Friday, June 26th.